Noir

How dark is it for you?

In January I said I would be looking into the book world of noir and I have been diligent. While not yet ready to get into, I have several books under my belt and a few more to go. What an interesting journey.

Black Book It brings about the discussion about what noir really is and by chance I happened along this post on ‘Riding the High Country’ about film noir. Have a read about film maker Anthony Mann and his career in noir before moving into westerns. There are some interesting comparisons is this post as Colin talks about The Black Book.

silkworm Meanwhile, JK Rowling (Robert Galbraith) is releasing a second book The Silkworm featuring PI Cormoran Strike which I am quite pleased to hear. I liked this character and his assistant Robin Ellacott, they have great synchronicity. Here’s hoping book two moves along more quickly, which was my only complaint about The Cuckoo’s Calling.

What have you been reading lately? Does it include noir and can you define it?

June Lorraine

One thought on “Noir

1. February 18, 2014 at 12:55 PM

June, you listed some interesting books I’d like to read. I haven’t read crime, dark/sleazy setting books in awhile. Dean Koontz a decade ago.

• February 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Loved Koontz years ago, along with Anne Rice and many others.
      The change is good for you 🙂
      Change is why I’m doing the noir thing, I like to keep a mix going so I don’t turn into a drone.
      Thanks for dropping by
      June Lorraine

2. February 18, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Firstly, thanks for the link – most kind.
    As for reading material at the moment, I’m just coming to the end of Crooked House by Christie and plan to read some Alan Furst next; his shadowy pre-war tales have a strong tinge of noir to them in my opinion.

• February 18, 2014 at 5:58 PM

You are welcome and happy to include you. Thanks for following the blog.

Furst looks interesting, will await your take on him. Perhaps if finished in time you can guest post about his work..?
      June Lorraine

• February 19, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Thanks for the invitation, but I’m an awfully slow reader these days – time’s just not as available as I’d like.

I’ve read a few of Furst’s books in the past though and I would recommend him. Kingdom of Shadows is a pretty good one, well written and with a good feel for the pre-war years. He’s been described as a kind of latter-day Eric Ambler, and that’s not far off the mark as far as I can see.

• February 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I understand, time can be a challenge.Sounds like a good book and I think I have read some Ambler. I’ll keep it in mind.
        Best,
        June Lorraine

3. February 18, 2014 at 4:27 PM

A few months ago I read the Icelandic noir Voices–and loved it.

• February 18, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Oh ho – something else to look into as you may realize I like to try authors from around the world.
      Icelandic Noir a whole different thing from the mean streets of LA
      Thanks for commenting.
      June Lorraine

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry