How dark was it? Noir at the Bar

Noir at the Bar May 2014
In keeping with reality I proved that I am indeed a crime fiction nerd by being the first guest (along with my husband) to arrive at Thursday night’s Noir at the Bar – Toronto. It was quite early, yes I know embarrassing.

Once checking with the barkeep that food was available to be ordered along with our beverage of choice (Smithwicks) we moved further inside to be warmly greeted by Tanis Mallow. We then found our seats in a perfect observation spot for the evening.

As we dug into our chicken curry Rob Brunet struck up a conversation and we talked books, authors and social media. A great way to enjoy dinner and a brew as far as I’m concerned.

The clock neared 7pm and the room began to fill. Authors and friends arrived and there were many enthusiastic greetings. It was shaping up to be a quite an evening when Howard Shrier and his lovely lady Harriet shared our table.

This began another discussion, that there are many books and many reasonably good books, but few books that fully engage and transport the reader. Authors and readers can become quite stingy with their reading time.

The time arrived, Tanis and Rob gave heartfelt greetings, introductions and then the readings began. Over the next few hours we were blissfully beguiled and bewitched as each author presented their work, using atmospheric tension, humour and cliff hangers.

Watching published authors listening to other published writers was fascinating. Some were still and intent and others fidgeted knowing they were up next. Presenting in front of your peers (some for the first time) is never easy.

Was there nervousness, tension and anxiety? Yes. Perhaps there was even some rivalry in the room. Who knows, but what was obvious was unparalleled support, affection and respect.

Suddenly it was over and those of us who had won books in the drawings proudly clutched the signed copies. I walked away with Hilary Davidson’s Evil in all its Disguises and a lively chat about business travel.

Noir at the Bar will be back again in Toronto sometime this summer – stay tuned.

June Lorraine

Rob Brunet
Jill Edmondson
Howard Shrier

One thought on “How dark was it? Noir at the Bar

1. jerry
    May 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I’m officially jealous that you guys got to hob-nob with real live authors. Also you got to sip some Smithwicks–good stuff

• May 13, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Talk about a great evening, right!
      Maybe next time you will be in town.

2. May 12, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Thank you for sharing this event with me. I enjoyed reading your review.

• May 12, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Thanks so much Leanne. I read your posts every Monday & Friday. Thanks for dropping by to say hello.

3. May 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

What a fabulous way to spend an evening, June. A great line-up of authors, too.

4. May 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

It was a great evening Vicki. Do they do Noir at the Bar in Australia?
    By the way, congrats on Fatal Liaison being released as an audiobook.

5. May 14, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Not that I’ve come across. I did participate in something similar a while back, but I was the only writer on a panel of artists. I needed a couple of glasses of Dutch courage to do the reading, though. Public speaking is not one of my strengths.

Re FL audiobook: Thanks, I’m rapt with the production. Fatal Liaison’s narrator exceeded all my expectations. It’s more like a radio play than a book reading. Now if I could read like that…

6. May 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Love Noir at the Bar! I got to participate at the first one held in Portland. I was soooo nervous because I wasn’t even published yet.

• May 16, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I don’t think authors are ever alone on that front Lisa. Meanwhile I’m looking forward to this summers Noir.
      Thanks for dropping by…

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry