Pathways to Writing: Bicycle Included

IMG_0559

Writing journey

Change is a given

Late last year I wrote about receiving a bicycle for my birthday and my challenges in learning how to ride. My comparison to that and writing garnered some interesting and thoughtful comments. It touched on something that many of us feel. Failure and our lack of capability.

Fear can drive many other emotions: vulnerability, insecurity and critical thoughts. Also swearing, lots of swearing. As opposed to writing, I had to look at form Instead of style, instead of plot destination, instead of characters it was all about me. And now, like writing, the time had come to reassess.

So perhaps you are wondering how things are going? It all came to grinding halt one afternoon after another fruitless session with a sudden realization. As a chronic migraine sufferer dizziness and mild vertigo are a reality I have to deal with. Whiplash from many years ago does not help.

Therefore, my reality is that there isn’t a hope in Hades I am ever going to balance on my beautiful bike.

When you are writing work-arounds are necessary. You have a scene planned out and then your research tells you that it’s improbable. Continuing down the path of an unlikely scenario will be off-putting for your readers. Riding my bike seems highly improbable and to all intent, impossible.

How can I make it work? By adapting. Just like writing, adapting is necessary. When our beta-readers make valuable points we adapt. When an editor tears our manuscript (MS) to shreds we modify. When our readers make constructive criticism we tailor.

So I have adapted the bike to meet my needs. I’ve added support wheels that are the adult version of training wheels. While I could have used them as trainers I decided to have them level with my bike’s wheel so that in effect I’m on the road with four wheels. Three in the back and one in the front. My super tricycle is pictured below.

IMG_1219

The modifications make the bicycle hard to turn so I will have to master that but hey, I’m upright and moving along. Maybe that is totally like writing. Sitting up in your chair, feet firmly planted and a gleam in your eye. Excitement at what is ahead is a given.

What strategies do you use to make your MS work? How important is environment to your writing? What puts the gleam in your eye?

One thought on “Pathways to Writing: Bicycle Included

1. March 20, 2016 at 7:23 PM

And how, pray tell, is the bike riding coming along? Inquiring minds want to know???

• March 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM

I will be testing over the next few days. We’ve had too much company for more than a turnaround in our neighbours driveway!

2. March 20, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Well, that was clever. My husband, the rocket scientist (RS), put a huge, wide seat on my stationary bike because he got tired of me whining about my aching, bruised lady parts after a session. I still don’t use it because the handle bars are too far away and it hurts my back to lean that far over any length of time. Damn this getting old crap sucks. With my bad knee, if it weren’t for my pool, I’d get no exercise at all.

Those workarounds you speak of are part of the joy of writing for me. I love the challenges. They also demonstrate how we grow as writers. Anything that does not adapt dies.

• March 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Sue you are so funny. I never know what you are going to come out with and therefore you never disappoint!

3. March 20, 2016 at 9:08 PM

reading a serialized novel perhaps some Alexander Dumas or James Patterson with or without others, I’m left the ideas of keeping it twitter simple and carefully arranged… beautiful idea now i sit through page after page of “chapters” in dvd’s and literally see the bright red spectrum and it’s lines, orange and it’s, yellow – all on through the rainbow – it’s plotted on pages, then it’s murderously impossible to write anything into it ever again. and continuity? that’s just a dream for a circular fellow… well, bluargeeliggle…! there it is on the page and a few deft wipe to save a few precious chunks.

4. March 21, 2016 at 5:20 AM

An intricate, apposite comparison! I guess I just keep on pedalling but constantly switching my view between the road in the distance and the few yards just ahead. And just hope I’m going in the right direction… Still ready to read what you write whenever you want!

• March 21, 2016 at 4:37 PM

I’ll take you up on that someday! I’m sure your heading is correct 🙂

• March 28, 2016 at 4:05 AM

Thank you, June! (Sorry to reply so late, I’m now busy compiling a Cats anthology…)

• March 28, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Really…love to hear about that sometime 🙂

• March 30, 2016 at 12:26 AM

It’s a lot of work! I’ll keep you posted via the blog…

5. March 21, 2016 at 6:13 AM

Just the fact that we are writing separates us from the majority of society. That makes it a special vocation.

6. Lynne
    March 23, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I loved your blog and the picture attached…….good for you,June!

Sent from my iPad

Powered by Coffee. Sustained by Good Books

Marilyn Kay

Crime Fiction Author

J. A. Allen

Scribbles on Cocktail Napkins

jumissshop

And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.

Discarded Books

Book reviews on the discarded and sometimes forgotten

Willow Croft

Poet, Writer and Dimension Walker

this-is-my-truth-now

Fiction, Books, TV, Trips & Reviews... and introducing the 365 Daily Challenge!

Bionic Book Worm

Book reviews, tags, and random bookish thoughts