Come home to Giles Blunt

BLUNT, Giles - Portrait des Schriftstellers

Years ago like many, I read mainly U.S. crime fiction authors because they got all the press. It was while wandering through a bookstore one afternoon that I found Giles Blunt and in many ways, I came home.

The Detective John Cardinal series brings you into the world of ‘Algonquin Bay’ (a stand-in for Giles’ home town of North Bay) in Northern Ontario. Along with Detective Lisa Delorme the duo face the challenges of fugitives into the back woods, difficult personal lives and home grown terrors.

Although born in Windsor, ON Giles spent 20-years in New York. I think he managed to bring some of that grit to his work based in the deep Ontario woods. There are currently six books in the series and I have some catching up to do as I have not read the past two books. My most common complaint in life – too many books, so little time.

Giles’ awards include: Crime Writers of Canada’s Arthur Ellis Award, British Crime Writers’ Association Silver Dagger and the MacAllan Silver Dagger.

If you have not ‘found’ this Canadian author, then stop reading this post and go get him. Online, in the library, or bookstore, even plucked from someone’s bedside table.

You won’t regret it and if you do, let’s discuss it here.

Photo: Peter Peitsch

One thought on “Come home to Giles Blunt

1. November 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I love that you are spotlighting home-grown talent. This is great.

• November 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Thanks Elaine, I always appreciate your comments and that you feel connected to the blog.

2. Vicki
    November 7, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Another new (to me) author. Have you read his By the Time You Read This If you have and would recommend it, I’ll buy it. 🙂

• November 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM

HI Vicki,
      Yes, I have and yes, I do.
      I decided to read the reviews on Amazon and they are all over the place on this book. But I often find it depends on the type of book the reader likes. As I recall this is a slower pace due to Cardinal’s grief and then determination. If you decide to go for it would like to know what you thought of it.

3. Fictionophile
    June 19, 2017 at 4:27 PM

Love Giles Blunt! Had the opportunity to meet him twice at book signings and once he was the guest speaker at my book club meeting. His Cardinal novels are wonderful.

• June 19, 2017 at 4:44 PM

He really is a great writer. I’ve fallen behind on his last two books
      One day I’ll catch-up 🙂

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

The Killing Times

Dissecting The Best Crime Drama On Television and radio

Be as Bold as Your Lipstick

Atypical 60

A Typical Blog. A Typical Woman. A Typical Take On Life. With An Atypical Twist!

Pub(lishing) Crawl

Reading you under the table since 2012

Part of Almighty

Top Food Blogger in Bangalore | Travel Blogger in Bangalore | Devnshu and Divya's Collection

Silver Screenings

an irreverent blog of old movies

Imperial Crochet

Crochet Journal and Gift Ideas Blog - Gifts for Crocheters & Crocheted Gifts

Chesapeake Bay storytelling, history, and memoir

Thoughts from a Guerrilla Worker

Guerrilla Worker, strategic thinker, occasional maverick and reluctant over-achiever

Deb's World

Midlife, Travel & Adventure

Healing Your Heart!

A manual for the life within!

Ramblings of a Writer

Living the Path of Life

Trisha Faye

Cherishing the Past while Celebrating the Present

So Simply SO

Creating a life, one miracle at a time

Let's work together to overcome PTSD, panic, anxiety, depression in ourselves and others.