Toronto’s – Noir at the Bar

N@TB group photo

I went

I read

The morning of this event I was a bag of raw nerves. I’d spoken publicly before but it was generally for business. I may have owned the project but everything else was owned by the company I worked for.

This time it all belonged to me. How would it be received?

Now I should tell you that the crime fiction fans and writers who attend N@TB are very supportive especially to debut authors and newcomers like me who’ve had the occasional story published. So there is no fear of being run out of the room.

No, my fears were about flubbing lines, losing my place, and generally not doing a good job of presenting my work so that the audience could feel what I was reading.

me reading Noir

Seemingly, these fears were all for naught (and I think I looked quite relaxed in this pic snapped by Tanis.) Several people commented positively on my work. The best remark was presented by an editor sitting with a group of women at a table.

Apparently they all wanted to know more about the protagonist. That “tell me more,” request feels great and something every writer strives for.

Of course the evening wasn’t all about me (really?) The pictures by Brian Baker show only a part of the fun.

rosemary reading

It was great to meet-up with Rosemary McCracken again. Her book Raven Lake has just been released.

giles reading

As a huge fan of Giles Blunt and his John Cardinal series it was very special for me to participate at the same event. He read from his stand-alone book Hesitation Cut.

Books read by the other crime fiction authors: Dietrich Kalteis – Trigger Fish, John McFetridge – A Little More Free – Dee Wilson – A Keeper’s Truth and Peter McGarvey – Hair Trigger.

rob & tanis noir June 2016

Much appreciation goes out to Tanis Mallow and Rob Brunet who host N@TB with great style. They also read from a work in progress and a short story (consecutively.) Thanks to you both for inviting me read.

Rob has written about pulling it all together for an author event for International Thrill Writers so have a peek and read what it takes.

One thought on “Toronto’s – Noir at the Bar

1. June 12, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Kudos June!! You did it!

2. June 12, 2016 at 6:15 PM

You did a terrific read, June Lorraine. I really like your protagonist.

3. June 12, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Good for you! It’s a lot more fun than it sounds.

4. Lynne
    June 12, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Good for you June…..I’m proud of you.

Sent from my iPad

5. June 13, 2016 at 12:49 AM

Sounds like it was a great evening, June. Wish I could’ve been there. 🙂

6. June 13, 2016 at 1:20 AM

So glad it all went well. Wish I could have been there!!!

7. June 13, 2016 at 3:31 AM

You have to be a bit nervous for it to go right. And it looks like it did – wish I’d been there! Will there be a next time? Maybe a video then…

• June 13, 2016 at 9:39 AM

N@TB Toronto is held about three times a year. They (we) are lucky to have Brian Baker to take photos! Now that you mention it no one videos the event on their iPhone which shows quite delightfully that everyone is focused and present. That said a volunteer videographer would be nice but I’m secretly glad we don’t have one. It would have been nice to have you attend Curtis.

• June 14, 2016 at 5:35 AM

Maybe one day I’ll manage to be there. My nephew lives in Vancouver – closer but still a long way…

• June 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM

Yes, quite a way still…

8. June 13, 2016 at 7:56 AM

I’m curious if you’d admit the nerves often are because it’s exciting as in it matters some events. I typically can not stand hearing myself somehow be truly honest or creative and ME reading something of that honesty aloud. your event would be a double whammy for me. perhaps you remember that show… an old game show called, “The jokers Wild” come on big money!! no whammy, no whammy! of course i’ve stood to creative workshop’s live fire exercises after, i CAN do it thus,kukos to you.

• June 13, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Yes, absolutely! It was my first public reading and there were authors & family/friends there whose opinion mattered to me. I don’t mean approval, I mean insight, appreciation and so many other things. And that TV show sounds familiar 🙂

• June 13, 2016 at 10:42 AM

it’s interesting to me that you take that thought of it’s NOT approval, not that a little isn’t a jazzing, but it’s the growth from what is done already, it’s HOW it’s received, that ‘insight’ as you say it…. not how well it’s recieved. I remembered that dragging 240+ pages of all the most recent then poetry crapinsky to a poetry workshop. then as isn’t too surprising, while I had previous material and in hardcopy no less, I literally didn’t have time to sort through it to a best fit but had to create again new. I then had to choose to stand and deliver that with our host of that to a musical accompanyment. weird. I mid stream was to perform, versus recite…such flips a switch that is not hating my more personal thoughts unvarnished, but trying to breathe them not say them. I lost the usual feeling of presence/static for a moment having to hear a voice in my ear for timing ‘s sake but otherwise was elsewhere, not whomp, reading something aloud. while that isn’t your ‘insight’ on how it’s recieved, it is just a different feeling and situation, it is just that, a neat feeling to not see the same. whomp write whomp speak whomp wee whoopie clap my pen peed on a page. clap for me, I’m brilliant. it’s – different. uplifting again, to be in that new.

• June 14, 2016 at 10:46 AM

That must have been so challenging and I say congrats to you!

• June 15, 2016 at 9:55 AM

looks at you a touch funny as such was so many years ago, my memory fails to date my experiences :D…. sometimes. that’d be an odd thing, dating experiences…pun on that word of course. yes, I’ll be there 7:15 sharp Friday evening and well bowl of macaroni white cheddar from scratch and watch something cheesey. heh. dating experiences..

• June 15, 2016 at 9:59 AM

You go girl! :0)

9. June 13, 2016 at 12:37 PM

You rocked it, June. I knew you would. 🙂

10. June 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Looks like a lot of fun, June. I’m sure your reading was wonderful. Great pic!

11. June 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Thanks Sue, it really was fun and as always, a very interesting evening

12. June 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM

We do get “better” after our first …..

13. June 29, 2016 at 12:26 AM

Sometimes we’re our harshest critiques when it comes to speaking about our work. Thank you June for the post. Congrats on your book.

• June 29, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Very true and thank you for the encouragement. It’s not a book..but who knows…someday… 🙂
      Your blob is fantastic, I’ll be checking regularly.

• June 29, 2016 at 11:50 PM

Thanks June. Go for writing a book. It’s a lot of work but I can tell you the process is a lot of fun. I look forward to following your blog too.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry