The Professionals: Owen Laukkanen

professionals, suspense thriller, crime fiction, murderincommon.com, own laukkanen

Job market sucks? Don’t try this.

Four young college graduates can’t find decent (translate: highly paid) jobs. Wait a minute, what about a kidnapping scheme to make money? It’s a simple process. Move from city to city, find and research a prospect, kidnap and collect a ransom of $60,000, release the victim unharmed, move on. Repeat.

Pender, Marie, Mouse and Sawyer are a close group of friends who share the risk and reward, and get-off on how clever they are. They enact these kidnappings for two years before a victim makes a police report. During their next crime they have to change victims at the last minute and make a terrible mistake by kidnapping  a man whose wife is ‘connected’.

Kirk Stevens of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) has a hunch the two events are related. Together with FBI agent Carla Windermere they begin to follow the trail of the foursome which puts them on the lam from the investigatiors and the mob.

Owen Laukkanen writes a well-paced plot that ratchets up anxiety as the friend’s ties to each other begin to shatter. It’s a tense ending for this book that reads like a caper from years gone by.

One thought on “The Professionals: Owen Laukkanen

1. November 8, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Great premise. Adding to my To-Read pile.

2. November 8, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Owen read at Noir at the Bar Toronto (2014) and I missed the chance to say hello – Ratz!
    Thanks for stopping by Judy.

3. November 10, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Sounds great. I’ll have to add this to my never-ending TBR pile.

• November 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM

Let me know if you liked it – when you get to it! 🙂 Thanks for dropping in Sue.

4. November 10, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Thank you for the follow today, Miss June Lorraine!

• November 10, 2015 at 8:23 PM

My pleasure! I hope you take the chance to peek around for some book ideas.

5. November 14, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Thank you for following my blog. I like the premise of yours.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupéry